Follow The Skene Skrum on Twitter @theskeneskrum

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Dan Parks Retires From International Rugby

This afternoon, Dan Parks announced his retirement from international rugby. 

The Australian born Scot won 67 caps for Scotland, scoring 266 points including 17 drop goals.  He also notched up countless bottles of champagne for man of the match performances, including 5 in 7 games in 2010 where he single handedly resurrected Scotland's 6 Nations campaign (capping it off with a fantastic penalty kick to beat Ireland at Croke Park) and in his penultimate match against England in the 2011 RWC.

In a statement issued through www.scotlandrugbyteam.org, he said “I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the auld enemy, Jacko (Ruaridh Jackson) was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business.

“On reflection after the game, after talking it over with my family, girlfriend and close friends I’ve come to the decision that now is the right time to retire from the international game.

“There are some really talented guys coming through – Jacko (Ruaridh Jackson), Greig (Laidlaw) and Duncan (Weir) – and although I’m sad to be finishing my international career I have some fantastic memories of playing for Scotland and what that has meant to me.

“I’ve no regrets at what has been an amazing career for me. I’ve got my favourite moments for Scotland – uppermost being the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

“That was my first World Cup, something that as a youngster you would always aspire to play in, and it was just such a happy, exciting, positive time. It was also where I met my girl-friend, Laetitia.

“Other memorable moments have been the two wins against England at home (2006 and 2008), the win against South Africa here at Murrayfield, the two wins in Argentina in 2010 and one in 2008 and the Ireland game in 2010 which was a great occasion.

“I’ve made some incredible friends here in Scotland and in the Scotland team and a lot of those friendships were forged in Glasgow.

“I also want to thank the loyal fans of the Scotland team. It’s been a rocky road for me at times but at the end I’ve always given 100 per cent to play at my best and succeed for Scotland.

“This is not the end of me as a rugby player. My international career is over but I want to keep playing club rugby. I always enjoyed my time in Glasgow. It’s one of great cities I’ve visited, so who knows what will happen in the future.”

Dan Parks playing his final game for Scotland

Despite the love/hate relationship many Scotland fans have had with Parks over the years, there is no doubt he has proved and provided so much for his adoptive nation, a career both he and we should be very proud of.

Messages of support have been flooding in over the social networks for  a true servant to Scottish Rugby, and one that will not be forgotten.

It is a shame that his career has ended so abruptly, but as he states above, he wanted to be available for the Scottish cause and that epitomises his attitude to both rugby and playing for Scotland. 

As a Glasgow Warriors fan, I was a big fan of his during his time at the club.  As the first player to score over 1,000 points in the league, he demonstrated his reliability and his consistency that earnt him his 67 Scotland caps.

I stated on this blog yesterday that I thought he may well have played his last game for Scotland, but I honestly didn't see it happening this way.  However, I agree with his own thoughts that the natural time to step aside to new blood had come.

Congratulations on a fine career.  His contribution will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment